Why I don't use therapy anymore


“Think of your head as an unsafe neighbourhood; don't go there alone.” 

For years, I have seen various psychologists and therapists, from child to adolescent and then adult. I have had group therapy, Cognitive behavioural therapy and EMDR (which is used to suppress old memories that cause distress). In the past I have found it incredibly helpful to speak to a therapist and have often found myself getting to the heart of why I feel the way I do. I have learn`pt so many techniques on how to calm myself down before panic attacks, how to prevent myself from self-harming, how to ignore negative and self-critical thoughts etc. However, therapy just doesn’t feel helpful anymore.

The main reason therapy doesn’t feel helpful anymore is because sitting in a room, detailing my problems, why I feel the way I do, reminds me that I am mentally ill. I have to admit all of my problems and have to try and accept it all over again. I am at a point of my illness that it is accepted, it is admitted and I am on a level with it. Bringing it up, makes me go through it all again, my childhood, my adolescent years. Memories that I have suppressed. It’s not something that my current state can take all over again.

I feel that myself, and those around me can manage me and deal with me well. I never hide my mental health, in fact I have come to the point where I can openly talk to those who I am close to about it, I just don’t feel the need to clinical intervention anymore. I have embraced that I am mentally ill and probably will be for the rest of my life. I embrace it by not dwelling on the fact and by telling myself I’m not that bad, which works incredibly well. Therapy only (for me) emphasises the fact.

I also feel that I know and do use the techniques that therapy has taught me already. There’s only so many times I can be told methods to stop self-harm, to prevent anxiety and panic attacks. Learning them is one thing but using them is completely different. I am guilty of not using them at times when the urge is too strong, or the panic attack becomes difficult to stop, but often I can effectively use what I have learnt.


I am in NO WAY at all trying to hinder people from using clinical or any type of therapy at all as it is so useful and has in the past helped me so much. I would not be the person I am now without the use of it for so many years and I am incredibly grateful to get therapy and help when I needed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2017: Rambles about my shit year at the start of February in the NEXT year when I am supposed to be doing University work

An in-depth "About Me"

Scars